One of the foods I really miss since the dairy allergy discovery, and now obviously through my transformation to a vegan diet. Now, I will admit, this is NOT a healthy meal. It’s chock-full of salt (mmm!).
And now … Here’s the recipe!
- 8 oz. whole wheat elbow macaroni (I used moose-head whole wheat pasta from Ikea) – Use more if you want. There’s a lot of sauce.
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread (Original)
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1 cup plain almond milk
- 1-1/2 cups Tofutti Sour Supreme (non-hydrogenated, always)
- 3 oz. Daiya “Mozarella”
- 3 oz. Daiya “Chedder”
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Cook the pasta as you normally would. I make mine al dente.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk slowly.
- Add the Sour Supreme. Stir / whisk till melted.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer and stir frequently until thick. Add salt, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper and stir together.
- Add drained, cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir together. Serve!
Adapted from this Mac N Cheese recipe.