I have somehow managed to make the most amazing black beans. I have been struggling to create Mexican black beans that I have in most Mexican restaurants. And tonight, I succeeded!
LG’s Amazing Black Beans:
- 2 tomatoes with seeds scooped out
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup sweet, yellow onion
- 2 jalapenos, seeded
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 yellow or orange pepper
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can black beans (16 oz)
- Blend tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, pepper, and garlic until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in pan, the pour in blended mixture.
- Add 1/4 of the can of black beans (do not drain or rinse beans). Heat and half-mash beans.
- Pour the rest of the beans and their juice into the pan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer.
- When half of the liquid has cooked in, add salt to taste and continue to cook.
To make Spanish rice, double the vegetable blend and use half of the mixture in each. Fry 1 cup of rice in 3 tbsp. of olive oil until they turn golden, then add the veggie mixture and 2 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
I was really proud of myself; the beans were incredible! I decided to make a delicious vegan burrito–whole wheat tortilla, Spanish rice, black beans, tofu sour cream, and chopped lettuce. The only thing that would have made this burrito more amazing would have been a little fresh chopped cilantro and maybe a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Come to think of it, a few slices of red onion would have made it absolutely killer!